Friday, September 7, 2012
And she's off
My baby started kindergarten today. It's baffling. And so bitter-sweet.
I have been a stay-at-home mom for over six years. Today, as the bus took the left turn out of our street, I felt like I had just been fired.
I worried that she would miss me. That someone would hurt her feelings. That she would think everything was just too different.
So I scrubbed toilets.
It was only three hours. Unlike most other parents in town, I was not ready to put her in all-day K. Sure, she would have done fine. But I know that even though my heart misses her now, it will ache when she is gone all day. I know because I miss my boy.
Meanwhile, a little girl was having a wonderful adventure. She was thrilled to have her own backpack. She talked all about a new friend I didn't know And unlike every other year, instead of just waiting with her big brother for the bus, this time, she could GET ON.
I'm so proud of who she is. I'm excited for what new things she will learn and tell me all about. But I was also reminded that some things you just can't learn in school. Like how you can't pack an open juice pouch in your back pack to "save for later." That one, my dear, you need to learn the hard way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I can't believe she's in kindergarten either! Ack! And yay for her!
ReplyDelete