A day in suburbia with this housewife, her hubby, two kids and things that go BOOM.

Stand back. This sucker's gonna blow.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hot dog! We're having seafood.

I've always been a fan of special meals for the kids. Like when we made meatloaf cupcakes topped with mashed potatoes for April Fool's Day, smiley-face pizzas, even grillin' cupcakes. But even crafty mommas are sometimes just too dang tired at the end of the day. And while my kids love real seafood, I do indulge their requests for tube steaks as well. With flair.


To make octopus dogs, start with a raw hotdog. Using a paring knife, carefully make a slice through the bottom 3/4 of the hotdog. Slice each half to make the legs. (And while I realize octopus have 8 legs, I can only manage six without cutting off a leg). If desired, twirl the knife tip to make two eyes and make a small "V" for a mouth. Place hotdogs in boiling water for several minutes until legs curl and heated through. Serve on a bed of (sea) shells n' cheese and decorate with goldfish crackers. Add a side of veggies or fruit slices. Then pour yourself a glass of wine, supermom.

No comments:

Post a Comment