A day in suburbia with this housewife, her hubby, two kids and things that go BOOM.

Stand back. This sucker's gonna blow.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Lego Birthday Bash


Now that my little guy is in kindergarten, I promised him a BOY party with all the kids from class. Everyone who knows me knows I love parties. As far as a theme, I didn't have to stretch too far for this one: LEGO.


For invites, I used a 1" paper punch to make circles from bright lightweight card stock, which I attached to another sheet using foam mounting squares. Daddy designed and printed the inside. I used the same design for the banner, which was made of cards in different sizes and colors strung on ribbon. The name sign was designed using this free font download.



The party was held at a local Y in the gorgeous gymnastics center where my kids take classes. I brought a tub of bricks and the boys made creations while everyone arrived. I also filled a jar with Lego bricks and asked each kid to guess how many were inside. The closest guess (my brilliant nephew!) won a small gift bag at the end of the party.

Once everyone had arrived, they did gymnastics, jumped on the tumble track and ran like mad men for an hour. The great Y staff led the kids in a Lego relay, where kids took turns scooping up a small Lego brick with a spoon and carrying it to the other side of the gym, dropping it in another cup and racing back to the next teammate. Hilarious.

During the games, the dude sported this Lego man shirt, which I have to admit, I wanted, too!


Since it was a mid-afternoon party, we had healthy snacks like yogurt tubes, cheese sticks, granola bars and fresh fruit, in addition to goldfish and animal crackers. While they refueled, they colored their own Lego guy creations, which was a photocopy of a Lego silhouette based on this amazing kirigami design.

Next, we played a few games. This site had a lot of great ideas. We played Lego Bingo and raced to see who could build the tallest tower in two minutes.

Then came cupcakes! I made Lego guys by pouring melted chocolate in this ice cube tray. The kids loved those. I also had jars of these awesome candy bricks on the table. Make sure you warn moms that these are candies because one almost had a heart attack when she saw her son popping them into his mouth!



And while I'm not a huge fan of opening presents at a party, the guests were so excited that we did. I found it helpful to have the gift giver sit next to the birthday boy as he opens each gift. Then we took a photo of our son with each friend, which sure comes in really handy when you forget who gave what!

At the end, everyone got these favor bags, which contained a bag of brick candy, a mini Lego creator toy, stickers and a box of raisins. These are so easy: simple yellow paper bags with faces drawn in sharpie. Make two slits with scissors and fold ends down to make a knob on top of the head.



Since we had so many activities, I ditched the idea of having the kids decorate their own marshmallow pops. Although how cute is this idea? I made a few anyway and they were really fun.



And for those of you out there who attempted to make a Lego cake, my hats off to you. I did one for my son's "real" birthday the night before and it made me nuts. But as my guy blew out the candles, I knew it was worth it.


Happy birthday to my amazing dude. Now let's go build something together...

No comments:

Post a Comment