Other than preschool graduation this week, we've had nothing to do. School is done and summer camps and classes don't start until next week, so I made a point for us to just stay home and enjoy that slow, meandering pace of summer. I was a bit worried that the kids would be bored and bouncing off the walls-- and each other. Instead, without orchestrating the day, I noticed something wonderful: they played.
* The kids invited me to their dim sum restaurant "Chinese Dip" and served me play food while wearing "eating hats";
* We slipped across a sprinkling water hopscotch game (man, well water is COLD!);
* The kids dug for worms while I weeded the overgrown gardens;
* We painted giant sheets of newsprint, and each other, and dove in the kiddie pool;
* And we ate popsicles in the shade of a plum tree.
The best part, in my opinion: the kids have not been in the car in three days. No scooting them into car seats, no growling "hurry up or we'll be late", no tossing snacks into the back seat to keep everyone calm.
I know the rush will start again soon, but for now, we're content to just hang out.
As long as we don't run out of food.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jealous... of everything Chinese Dip, popsicles, water hopscotch
ReplyDeleteI swore you wrote popsicles under a "palm" tree in which case I wanted to know the exact location of your house in New England because we don't have palm trees up the Northern border :) Sounds like a wonderful summer kick off. Enjoy every minute!
ReplyDeleteSounds so very nice! I can't say we've felt the lazy, hazy days of summer yet, but I think they'll be here soon!
ReplyDeleteI love lazy days...
ReplyDelete